Pages

Sunday 4 March 2012

A grand unified theory - and an honourable exception

Since last week I've been thinking a bit more about good sewing resolutions, and hoping to happen on the grand unified theory which leads to sewing success every time.


I came up with various theories of my own, and then remembered the clever people at Merchant and Mills:


(Now, I wanted to copy this next part from their website - and had permission to do so - but it just won't copy. So I'll rewrite the words, but it's worth following the link above to see the original.)


'SEW CLOTH TOGETHER PATIENTLY AND WITH CARE FOR YOUR INDUSTRY WILL BE REWARDED BEYOND ALL MEASURE'.




That really says all that needs to be said on the subject. It is the story behind many of my favourite things, like this dress, 










and this top.





I had planned to say many more words on the subject, but now they are mostly redundant. Like all good principles, however, it has an exception which proves the rule, and that exception is making fancy dress costumes. Last Thursday was World Book Day, and I sent to school a Harry Potter and a Wild Thing (from Where the Wild Things Are, of course). There was fake fur flying on Wednesday night.  Costume sewing bends all the rules - it needs to be slapdash and scrappy, pulling together unlikely materials against an unfeasible deadline, and usually with a voice at my elbow asking 'is it nearly done yet?'.


For everything else, the mantra will be 'patiently, and with care'.



No comments:

Post a Comment