Pages

Friday 30 December 2011

Here comes the sun...

There's something about the Cath Kidston shop that I fall for every time. As soon as I step inside I completely believe in the CK world of eternal summertime, with strawberries for tea and boating on the river - never mind that I'm wearing woolly gloves and boots, and the nearest river is miles away. And then I start buying fabric...






Maybe this print would be better suited to an apron, but even back at home it still has a hint of sunshine about it!  This is my muslin for the lovely meringue skirt from the new Colette pattern book. If you know the pattern you'll see that it's been extensively tweaked: the scalloped hem on the original might have been a bit much with this floral print; and the stiff canvas fabric holds its shape so firmly that I chose to trim a bit from the side-seams to straighten it.






The biggest triumph? An invisible zipper! The book's instructions are so good I didn't even feel afraid, and I'm delighted by its invisibility. Somehow I managed to set the zip too low and had to add a button at the waist, but luckily it was one of those happy accidents that end up looking almost intentional.


Don't look too closely, though! It's still a bit scrappy.

So now I just need to wait for the weather to catch up with my wardrobe...

Happy New Year, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. It's lovely and will be perfect for spring/summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Catherine! Fulll of sunshine indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely skirt...I have yet to have a proper look at the book...I have only flicked so far.
    I know what you mean about the CK shops...I fall for it everytime! I was in one in Cornwall, in St Ives...I could have bought the whole shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for fixing a too low zipper -- I have one, too, and had planned on redoing the zipper one more time. I have already sewn it 3 times (used wrong color thread first time, sewed it wonky the second time, and 3rd time sewed it straight with correct color thread, but I set it in too low --ARGH!). Love your skirt!

    ReplyDelete